Central Office/DGM Office:
It is the Major controlling office from administrative as well as technical point of view. The processing of Mining Leases as well as Prospecting Licenses is also governed by the Central office. It comes in the purview of "Darbar Move ", six month in Jammu Headquarter and rest period of six months in Kashmir (Srinagar) with the Director as Major Head of the Department.
- Detailed as well as Reconnaissance, Geological Mapping to explore various minerals in State for feeding mineral based industry of the State.
- Geotechnical investigation of major as well minor engineering projects for determining Geotechnical feasibility besides environmental studies.
- Ground Water exploration and development of production wells.
- Sample collection for chemical/mineral testing.
- Report writing after all probe and estimation of Quality (Grade) and Quantity (Reserves) of deposit.
- To explore the mineral deposit by way of Exploratory Mining/ Aditing .
- Control of illegal mining, if any.
- Approval/checkup of mining plan and feasibility.
- Verification of mining plan and mining feasibility.
- Royalty collection of Major as well as Minor Minerals.
- Processing of Mining Lease as well as Prospecting License for Major Minerals.
- Implementation of Minor Mineral Concession Rule of J&K 1962 & Mineral Concession Rules 1960 framed under M&M(D&R) Act 1957 (Central Act ).
- Conduct Drilling to explore sub surface mineral wealth.
- Conduct Drilling to determine Geo-technical feasibility of
Engineering projects for construction of bridges, roads, canals,
- Exploratory drilling to determine Groundwater potential
and development of production wells.
Chemical analysis and testing of samples to determine the Quality of mineral (Grade). It has two posts of Sr. Chemists, 04 Chemist and 08 posts of Technical Assistants. It is established in Jammu as well as in Srinagar (Provincial level).
One of the important wing of the department which provide literature like Books, Reports, Periodic Journals to facilitate in the exploration and compiling of the reports. It has subscribed the Journals and Magazines like Journal of Geological Society of India, Drilling today, J&K Government Gazette besides National as well as Local Newspapers etc.
Cartographic/Drawing of Geological maps/Sections/plans prepared by the Geologists/Officer concerned investigations.
Workshop & Store:
It is also one of the important wing of the department in which repair and maintenance of the Vehicles/Equipment’s is done. Records of Consumables as well as non-consumable store items are also maintained in the store of the department.